THE TRUCKER’S GUIDE: CAB HACKS FOR CDL-A DRIVERS
Post Date - Aug 31, 2021
CDL-A truck drivers spend a lot of time in their cabs. At Ascend, we’re obsessed with seeing drivers succeed so we want to make sure your workspace is the best it can be! These tips and tricks for your cab may make your ride a little bit easier:
Get creative with storage!
We all know there’s not a ton of space in even the largest semi-truck cabs. But, there are a few things you can do to utilize the space you do have:
- Keep pens, straws, and other small items secure in a cup holder by putting them in a roll of duct tape (which will come in handy).
- Use adhesive Velcro and magnets to keep storage containers and small appliances in place while you drive.
- Store your reading materials and documents in a magazine holder. They are often slim enough to fit next to your seat for easy access!
- Use adhesive hooks to keep jackets and bags at an arm’s reach.
- Store a foldable TV tray behind your seat and use it as a desk, a chef’s station, a dining table or a TV stand – the world is your oyster.
Keep it clean!
When you’re working, eating and sleeping in a small space, things can get a little messy. These tips may help keep you from unintentionally driving a dump truck:
- Invest in a small but powerful battery-powered vacuum cleaner. Many come with a variety of attachments to get into hard-to-reach places.
- Use a paint brush to sweep away dust and dirt in air vents, in between seats and around controls.
- To avoid stickiness and build up, wipe down surfaces with fragrance free baby wipes or disinfecting wipes nightly.
- Pro tip: Toothpaste works wonders for defogging headlights and a splash of Coke can remove rust and polish metal.
Make it homey!
Sure, there’s no place like home, but there are a few ways you can bring the comforts of home with you on the road.
- Buy a seat cushion with back support. There aren’t a ton of seating options in the cab of a semi that don’t break the bank. A foldable, supportive seat may come in handy while watching a show, eating meals or relaxing in the evening.
- Get surround sound in your cab with a Bluetooth speaker! The sound system in your truck is probably fine, but it could be so much better.
- Find a mattress pad that works for you! Driving is exhausting and getting a good night’s sleep is crucial for CDL-A drivers. So, get a mattress topper that helps you feel your best.
- Use battery powered, adhesive lights to brighten up the dark compartments in your truck. Stick them in your closet compartment and where you store food so you’re not always fumbling around in the dark.
Have any tips or tricks of your own? Let us know! Obsessed with your success and want to reach your business milestones? Check out our CDL-A owner operator jobs today!