Ascend’s preventative health benefit: what you need to know
Posted: June 15, 2022
Our drivers are the most valuable resource we have. That’s why it’s so important to us to continually look for ways to enhance our drivers’ experiences at Ascend and offer them the best when it comes to pay, benefits and work/life balance. We’re passionate about offering our drivers preventative care benefits as part of our healthcare options because regular preventive care is an integral part of keeping your health on track.
Did you know that preventive care services are covered 100% with no deductible/cost under Ascends medical & dental plans?
Did you know preventive health measures and screenings can help prevent 85% of illnesses and diseases?
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield preventive care services include adult preventive care, preventive physical exams, screenings, and tests:
- Alcohol misuse: related screening and behavioral counseling
- Behavioral counseling to promote a healthy diet
- Blood pressure
- Bone density test to screen for osteoporosis
- Cholesterol and lipid (fat) levels
- Prostate cancer, including digital rectal exam and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test
- Colorectal cancer, including fecal occult blood test, barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy, screening colonoscopy, and related prep kit, and computed tomography (CT) colonography (as appropriate)
- Type 2 diabetes screening
- Well-woman visits
- Pelvic exam and Pap test, including screening for cervical cancer
- Breast cancer, including exam, mammogram, and genetic testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2 when specific criteria are met
- Hearing screening
- Height, weight, and body mass index (BMI)
Child preventive care services are also covered!
Common immunizations and preventative physical exams are included as well as screenings and tests for depression, hearing and vision, lead, obesity, oral health, development and behavior, newborn, and more.
Your doctor is there to help you be your healthiest. However, even routine visits can sometimes be overwhelming. That's why planning ahead can help you leave each appointment feeling more confident about what you and your doctor discussed. Whether you have an in-person or virtual visit, are experiencing symptoms, or need an annual physical, it helps your appointment run smoothly if you do the following things beforehand:
- Make a list of prescriptions or products you take. Write down everything you take and how much you take each day, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- Think about including a trusted family member or friend. They can help you think of questions for your doctor or review information with you after your appointment. They may even be able to participate in a virtual visit.
- Write down questions you want to ask your doctor. Once you're at your appointment, it can be easy to forget something you wanted to ask, such as:
- "What can I do to prevent or delay health problems?"
- "Should I make any changes to improve my health?"
- "Are there tests or screenings I should have based on my age or other risk factors?"
- "Do I need to come back for another visit?"
MetLife Dental preventive care services include the following:
- Oral exams, every six months
- Bitewing x-rays, 1 in 12 months
- Prophylaxis – Cleanings, 2 in a year
- Emergency Palliative Treatment
- Topical Fluoride Applications, 1 in 12 months for children to age 19 only
- Sealants, 1 in 36 months for children to age 19 only
- Space Maintainers, 1 per lifetime for children to age 19 only
For more information regarding preventive care services, don't hesitate to contact Empire BCBS at 1-833-632-0249 or MetLife at 1-800-438-6388. You can also refer to the attachments for more information.